My Writing Plan For 2014-2015 ~ by Calisa Rhose
Happy week two of 2014! I got a little busier than I’d expected last week and I didn’t get to post my 2-year writing plan as I’d hoped. Such is the life of a pantser. We don’t plan well, or at least this one doesn’t! 😆 Now that the granddaughter is back in school and life has sort of returned to normal, and I don’t foresee any (more) unexpected events for a while, I’ve put the plan to paper, as they used to say.
I’ve set goals before. I’ve set resolutions too. I’m not fond of resolutions because by March I’ve a) already broke one or more, or b) forgotten what they
were because I’m not a list maker.
I write things down on scraps of paper, envelopes-often belonging to someone else in the house- or one of the hundreds of tablets I keep laying around. But, then, said ‘someone’ takes their/MY envelope. How rude. Right? I am also addicted to post-it notes. I love that they stick any and everywhere!
But those lovely sticky notes- well, they end up in the oddest places I never think to check! Oy…
Or, and this is most usually the case, I forget where I’ve put ‘that’ scrap of paper or the specific tablet with the info- I knew I’d remember where I put it- was. I’ll never learn NOT to rely on my (un)trusty mind. *sigh*
So, I’m going to try making a plan. Not plotting, mind you, just the bare basics of what I’d like to accomplish if disorder wasn’t nipping at my heels 24/7; family, responsibilities, obligations… Things I’d want to do over the next 48 months if I didn’t, say…have a life. 😀
My Writing Plan For 2014-2015
(in no particular order because this IS NOT a list, and that would be too much like plotting :P)
1. Finish expanding contemporary romance, short story “Just One Night in Paradise” and self-publish by the end of March— This ‘will-be-a’ novella is almost ready for edits and polishing so should be easily doable if I don’t chicken out.
2. Finish full length contemporary novel, Hearts Afire, fireman WIP.
3. Finish full length paranormal novel, In Ghosts She Trusts- Juliette’s story- (bk 1 of Ghostly Trust series or trilogy), ghost WIP.
4. Finish Redesigning Sassy-bk 1, Dew Drop Diaries series (contemporary novellas)
5. Write Chasing Lainey-bk 2, DDDiaries
6. Write Saving Shelby-bk 3, DDDiaries
7. Write Marrying Lucy-bk 4, DDDiaries
8. Self-publish Dew Drop Diaries series.
9. Submit Hearts Afire (publishing house/format TBD)
10. Blog weekly (besides guest posts)
11. Promote any/all books out.
12. Rewrite and re-publish Home.
13. Contract an agent. (still considering this so may not do it)
1. Set new 2-year plan if this first year pans out.
2. Write paranormal novel, Ghost of a Chance- Romeo’s story, (bk 2 of Ghostly Trust)-Juliette’s twin brother.
3. Write contemporary novel Winter’s Song.
4. Decide how or where to publish Ghostly Trust books.
5. Publish/submit Ghostly Trust books.
6. Promote any/all books out.
7. Blog weekly.
8. Write bk 5 of DDDiaries.
9. Write bk 6 of DDDiaries.
10. Write bk 7 of DDDiaries.
11. Write bk 8 of DDDiaries. (writing these depends on how the first four do)
12. publish bks 4-8 of DDDiaries**
**Write four other novellas if not more DDDiaries.
This first year alone will be a huge challenge for me. I typically eke out one book or novella a year because I get lazy, break something, or just get *too busy* outside of writing. My worst downfall is that I let distractions keep me from the stories burning a hole in my head.
It’s so easy to just not open that word doc each day, so I’m also going to try to change that about my writing time. I’m going to tryto set specific hours for writing and other times for blogging, ‘playing’ on the web, research, social media, etc. It will most likely take me a while to find a system and schedule that works for me, that I’ll be able to work with.
I’m not even sure what time I’m the most productive because my self-discipline is so off the scale I can’t find it, but I’m going to set this goal for myself aside from everything else I’ve listed above because I NEED to. This is a must to become more productive in my writing, and therefore more successful as a writer.
We all know it’s almost impossible to get rich off writing, to write the great book that makes a movie, or just one people will rant about and buy. But there’s not even a glimmer of a chance to be successful in any capacity if I don’t write…and sell.
Some of these list items may change because I might’ve bitten off more than I can chew, infact, I’m almost certain I have, but I did it on purpose. If I have to much to do, I’ll at least try to make it and I figure I will be able to accomplish the part I can and still not be a total failure. LOL But I’m going to try to keep up with myself and do it all–because that’s how I roll, or more like tumble. 😆
First I have to get past my initial self-publishing experience and realize I lived through it, no matter how bad or good it goes. 😀
And so, there you have it. My writing plan.
Oh, for the record, I’ve already got my cover art for Redesigning Sassy ready to go- it’s bee-oo-tee-ful!- and some of the other DDD series covers are purchased and ready to finalize once I settle on the titles.
What do you hope to accomplish in 2014? Are your goals too high? Not high enough? What IS just right?
Happy writing my friends and best wishes for your goals no matter what they may be!